If you can offer a safe, loving and cosy home environment to a doggy guest and are happy to walk your four legged guest every day come rain or shine and have a spacious, secure, escape proof garden – then we’d love to hear from you.
Clients who use Canine & Co prefer not to put their dogs into traditional boarding kennels and are looking to put their pets in a safe, clean and caring family home. We pride ourselves on the service we offer and have an excellent reputation with superb feedback from our clients and their pets.
Dogs who are placed in our care are fully house trained and non aggressive. We only accept large dogs who are calm, placid and well behaved. As a carer you will be able to specify which breeds of dogs fit in with your lifestyle best.
We are flexible and will be happy for you to take just an occasional dog or we can approach you with as many bookings as you like. Carers do have regular dogs that they care for time and time again however, this is not regular work; some of our bookings are just for weekends and others can be for over a month at a time. The choice is yours.
We provide you with a full emergency back up service 24 hours a day, 365 days per year, so that should any problems occur you can contact us at any time.
It takes a special kind of person to be a dog carer and our fantastic dog carer’s are at the heart of our business and we simply couldn’t do what we do without them.
Our approved dog carers love to care for a guest dog in their home whilst earning a supplementary income, perhaps adding to a pension, a contribution to the family income or even just a bit of ‘me’ money! As a carer, you will be expected to feed, walk and care for the dogs as would their owners. The questionnaire the owner completes gives lots of information about their dog’s temperament and habits. This information is passed onto you. You will get to meet the dog before the booking starts to ensure that you are happy. You have the option to reject the booking once you have met the dog if you feel uncomfortable.
This is an opportunity for you to commit to the role of being a Canine & Co dog carer. If you love dogs and have time at home this is the job for you.
Our standards for a Canine & Co approved dog carer are high, but if you can answer ‘yes’ to the basic questions below – we would be delighted to speak with you.
If you want to find out more or have a chat about joining our team of dedicated and reliable approved Canine & Co dog carers please complete the application form or email us for more information at
1. Canine & Co approved carers shall practice with integrity, responsibility and trustworthiness and shall recognise their responsibility to their clients, clients’ pets, clients’ property, and society in general.
2. The welfare of clients’ dogs shall be paramount and shall not be made subordinate to commercial consideration.
3. All Canine & Co approved carers shall maintain professional relationships with their clients and shall not exploit such relationships for improper personal, professional or financial gain, nor seek inappropriately to impose their own values on clients. Carers shall not disclose any personal or private information about their clients.
4. Canine & Co approved carers shall not unfairly or unprofessionally conduct their care in any way that would discredit the reputation of Canine & Co.
5. Canine & Co approved dog carers must not seek to attract or take business directly without going through the agency’s established booking system and must in the interest of our clients not board additional dogs from any other agency or independently whilst a Canine & Co client is staying without prior approval. This therefore requires carers to operate exclusively with Canine & Co and no other dog boarding/sitting organisation.
6. Canine & Co approved dog carers due to the exclusive booking service offered by Canine & Co and welfare of dogs staying are not be permitted to operate private paying boarding clients also.
7. Approved carers are not permitted to speak on behalf of Canine & Co in their endorsement or commercialisation of any product, service or in the event of interview or provision of information to any member of the press or other media.
8. Approved carers must not make misleading claims or statements in advertising or otherwise.
9. Canine & Co approved carers must genuinely love dogs and have experience of owning/caring for them. Approved carers must show evidence of having knowledge of basic dog training and general care for the dogs for which they are responsible.
10. All Canine & Co carers must undergo interview within their own home before approval and maybe re-visited at any time by prior appointment. Where circumstances change (e.g house move) Canine & Co will be required to re-visit the carer.
11. Approved carers should not board dogs more dogs than their licence allows. If an owner requests in writing, that they wish only their dog(s) are boarded and we have accepted this request, then except in the case of cross over (delivery and collection times over lapping) this must be adhered to.
12. Approved carers should not leave dogs unattended except for short periods only (2-3 hours) or as agreed with owners. In the case of an emergency an allocated key holder must have access.
13. Approved dog carers should provide clean, dry, warm, draught-free bedding space; an area for dogs to relieve themselves; food, fresh water, exercise to owners requirements and maintain the guest dogs normal routine as much as is possible.
14. Canine & Co approved carers must make contact and arrange to meet owners as soon as contact details have been supplied. It must be understood that all the clients must have booked with Head office prior to arrival of the dog. Full confirmation details of the client and dog care details will have been provided.
15. Approved carers must ensure dogs are walked according to owner’s instructions at all times i.e. on or off the lead allowances. They must ensure proper control at all times and dispose of excrement safely.
16. Approved carers may only transport dogs under their care with permission of the owner or in cases of emergency i.e. to visit a veterinary surgeon. Confirmed permission is given by the owner on completion of the booking form unless stated otherwise.
17. Approved carers must keep safe the provided records of all current dogs under their care for immediate reference i.e. contact details, feeding, exercise and veterinary details in case of emergency.
18. Approved carers must abide by all current Health and Safety legislation.
19. Approved carers must abide by all National and Local Laws and Byelaws.
20. Canine & Co reserves the right to re-visit any approved carer and if necessary to inspect their premises to ensure that the Code of Practice is being adhered to.
21. Approval will be cancelled for any breaches of the Code of Practice. In the event of cancellation, for any reason, the person concerned will have no rights to operate as an approved Canine & Co carer. Failure to comply or any active attempt to ‘poach’ existing Canine & Co clients will be met with legal action.
22. Canine & Co approved carers are required to accept and abide by this code, and to abide by and observe any other rules, regulations and pronouncements of Canine & Co.